Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Learning

I'm still new at the whole parenthood thing - and I know I'll be learning new things each day that I have my baby girl but I feel like I've learned mountains in the past 10 days!!!

I went into labor at 3:30 am on Sunday, May 23rd. My water broke but it was not a big gush like everyone said it would be. In fact, it was barely anything so I really didn't think that it could be the water breaking. Lesson 1 - labor/delivery/etc. really is different for everyone!
Caroline hardly ever cried at the hospital, even when she was just born. I thought that something was wrong at first because she was so quiet. (Apparently that's normal though). All of the nurses kept telling us how wonderful she was. The second we brought her home she started fussing and crying. I thought that somehow on the way home we broke her. Our little angel was gone and replaced by an unhappy baby. Lesson 2 - that's normal. The first few days they sleep so much and just don't cry. After that, they do. Caroline really doesn't fuss or cry that much, but that first 24 hours at home felt like it was nonstop!! We didn't break her after all!!
Lesson 3 - accept any and all help!! I was so certain that I wanted it to be just Adam and me at home when we were released from the hospital. Having both of our mothers around the past 10 days has been the best thing (extra hospital visits and bed rest prompted that). Target/Babies R Us/grocery store runs are taken care of for us, dinner and laundry are magically done, sometimes they even take the night shift so we can get a good night's rest. Also, we have the most amazing friends that have been bringing us dinner - and even tell me how great I look when I have spit up on my shirt and am still in my pj's at 4:00 in the afternoon. Everyone has been amazing and it's made this transition into parenthood much easier!!
The most important thing I have learned so far though, is how much I love and appreciate my husband. He has been such an amazing father. He's great with the feedings, diapers, loss of sleep, etc. While adjusting to a new baby, he's also taken the best care of me while I am healing. When I was covered in blood this past Sunday, Adam wasn't home. He ran through red lights to get to me quickly and held my hand through every gory minute. Even when he was nervous, he seemed to be calm and worked hard to keep me calm. He has helped me to the bathroom, helped clean my stitches, learned about all my medications and when to take them, and oh so much more. He is truly the best husband and father and I am so lucky he is mine!!!! I have always known he was precious - but in the past 10 days I have learned that he is more than I could ever hope for and more than I probably deserve, yet somehow I ended up with him :)

3 comments:

Cassie said...

So glad to hear that ALL three of you are doing well. Hang in there, you got this parent thing covered!

Kelley said...

You're BOTH doing a great job-- see you soon

Meredith said...

awww I'm so happy for you guys!!!