Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Day Down...

Yesterday was the first day where it was just Caroline and me. We made it through, but it sure was exhausting!! She was more fussy than she's normally been, which was super frustrating. She seemed like her tummy hurt her. She kept straining, like she wanted to go to the bathroom but couldn't. She was awake for longer periods - which is good, but when she would get tired she couldn't seem to get good sleep. My day was filled with changing diapers, making bottles, trying to sleep, getting up and down to check on the baby...it really was tiring!! I have so much more respect for all the mom's out there. Staying at home with babies is certainly not easy!! I know it will get easier, but it's all still so new to me.

The day was very bittersweet for me. On the one hand, being at home alone with my baby meant that our life as a family of three is official. Adam and I are responsible for this little creature. We cannot just run out the door whenever we want, we have to plan things around naps and feeding time. We are parents and yesterday it really became official. On the other hand, it was the end of a journey. From the time we found out that we had a baby on the way, there was so much anticipation. What are they going to do at each doctor visit? What is it going to feel like? When will I start showing and how big will I get? Is it a boy or girl? When will I feel her kick? Will my water break today? I really and truly loved being pregnant. My body ached all the time, my feet got huge, I had to pee every 15 minutes and I was exhausted all the time - but it was all so new and exciting. Toward the end, I felt like I was ready to be done, I needed my body back. The labor and delivery process was not bad - although recovering from it was less than pleasant! The hemoragging and D&C were scary - but I survived that too. Having my mom around was wonderful as well. Now that all the hospital stuff is over, my mom is gone and my body gets closer and closer to it's pre-pregnant state - it's clear that the journey is over - and it was the most amazing journey. It so funny how everyone says that women forget all the pain of labor after the baby is born. It's so true!! I remember thinking how this would be the only child I had during the process at one point and now I seriously want to be pregnant and do it all again (not that that will happen anytime soon - so don't get any ideas!!). It was all so wonderful though and I will miss it. I will even miss seeing the doctors and nurses!! I got the very best care during the pregnancy and hospital stays and it is sad to say goodbye to people that took such amazing of me. I am still super emotional from the hormones trying to go back to normal so I spent a lot of the day crying. Thank you so much Adam for going on this amazing journey with me - I couldn't have done it without you!! I am looking forward to this next journey with you and Caroline and seeing what that will bring.

We're on day 2 - here's to hoping that there are less tears from Baby C and me...

1 comment: