Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One more time

Apparently I can't just deliver a baby and be done. I had a post partum hemorrhage with Caroline that earned me a lovely surgery and extra two night stay in the hospital. This time I had a great delivery. No pre eclampsia and no retained placenta. I actually felt like a human after the delivery. I had been mentally high fiving myself for the next two days...until they made me stay an extra night at the CCU. While one extra night was hard, it could have been worse. Monday finally came and we got to go home! My whole family was under one roof. I was able to give Caroline her dinner and play with her. I got her toothbrush ready before bed. It was starting to feel like normal. Then the fever started. I could tell something wasn't right. I had chills but I could feel the heat coming off my body. My bottom lip was getting a new fever blister every hour it seemed (no exaggeration), my body started aching, my head was pounding, and then I started throwing up. I assumed it was some sort of flu type bug. I didn't get a wink of sleep between feeling horrible and having a newborn home for the first night. Tuesday morning I called the doctor. My discharge papers said to call if I had a fever. They scheduled me to come in early afternoon. I was expecting an antibiotic and orders to take it easy. Instead I was told that I have metritis, a uterine infection. Part of the episiotomy site was also looking not quite right. The doctor kept saying things like "we will check the site every 12 hours" and "maybe after 24 hours you will feel well enough to go home." Somehow I still didn't catch on. They were re-admitting me for IV antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I lost it. I was away from Caroline for 3 days and with her for 19 hours (about 11 of those She slept) and now I was going to be away again?? After reluctantly agreeing that this was for the best I walked to my new room and got my IV. After one round I felt a lot better. I was excited that I would be able to go home feeling this good! At 5:00 this morning one of the doctors came to tell me that my fever had stayed away all night and my white blood count was looking better. He said that I should be back to normal after 48 hours of antibiotics. WHAT?? 48 hours?? Yep, I will be here yet another night. He said either Friday morning or late in the day Thursday. Fingers crossed for Thursday. By the time I get home to Caroline, I will have been gone nearly a week. That is the hardest part. When another doctor came to talk to me this morning, she explained that infections are common after delivery and we did the right thing by coming in. Untreated uterine infections can lead to a hysterectomy. If we ever want more kids then that is obviously a needed organ. We just can't seem to get away from UAB... Our friend George is a resident here and in the past 5 days he has visited us in 3 different hospital rooms. We are hoping to eventually see him outside of UAB!! I am hooked up to my IV as I type this. Adam took Ann Parker to her first pediatrician appointment this morning and I hated to miss that. C is still at home with Adam's mom. She is having a great time but I am missing her like crazy. I just want to be home with Adam and my girls. Hopefully tomorrow is the day... We will try the going home thing one more time and keep our fingers crossed that it sticks!!

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Praying for you my friend!!

Lindsey said...

Bless your heart! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

On Broadway said...

That's exactly what I had! I know it is awful! Hang in there - can't wait to see you guys! Sydney is missing her friend.