Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ann Parker's Birth Story

I am sitting here hooked up to the IV getting another round of antibiotics so I figured I will get this down while it is fresh in my mind. It may be boring to most, but I will want to look back one day!

Last Monday, the 16th, I had my weekly OB appointment. Everything looked great. The doctor said that she would see me same next the following week. I had not been having contractions and was feeling energetic so there was no reason to think I would miss that next appointment. On Wednesday, I started having a few contractions-strong but irregular. I was crampy and tired. This was similar to what I felt in the days leading to C's birth so I started to wonder. Thursday morning I woke up and had a little bleeding. After taking to my nurse I wasn't too concerned. I was considered full term and this was probably my body getting ready to deliver, but it didn't necessarily mean that labor was coming soon. I still expected to be waiting another week. I took C to a friends birthday party that afternoon. By the time we got home I was having regular contractions, but they were every 9 minutes apart-further apart than the "come in right away" time. I called the MEU and talked to a nurse. She said that I could try Benadryl and if it was false labor they would stop. I didn't want to leave Caroline for a false alarm so I took two. I was still having them so Adam called Trey, one of our best friends. The plan was for him to stay with Caroline if I went into labor during the night. This was about 8:00. Once he got there I decided to wait it out so he just hung out us. I fell asleep on the couch and felt fine. Around midnight I decided it was a false alarm and we let Trey go home. We went to our room to change clothes and go to bed. I put my pjs on and went to the bathroom and then...my water broke. Less than 15 minutes after Trey left, we called him back. He hadn't even opened his door yet!! Adam and I were much calmer this time. I called the MEU to let them know we were coming while Adam loaded the car. Once we were done and Trey was there, we headed to UAB.

We arrived at the MEU around 12:45. They confirmed that my water broke and started getting me ready for labor and delivery. Before I knew it, we were off to a room. The contractions didn't hurt too bad. I didn't get to have an epidural right away because they wanted to wait for the attending doctor. Epidurals can lower blood pressure and that isn't good if you have an aortic stenosis. I could have one earlier last time since I had pre eclampsia and lowering my BP was a good thing. Thank God for doctors and their knowledge! They decided to give me an arterial line to monitor my blood pressure and administer the epidural slowly. Since I had the arterial line I had to be moved out of the regular labor and delivery room and into the PACU (post anesthesia care unit) as that is the place that has the equipment to monitor everything. They gave me the epidural in small doses so I felt contractions a lot longer than with C. I was expecting labor to go a lot quicker this time. It was 14 hours with C. This time it was 16 hours, but I was mostly aware this time which was a nice change.

They finally got my epidural to a point where I couldn't feel the pain. Soon after that it was time for a baby!! Right before they delivered her I started feeling light headed and dizzy. Everyone's voice sounded distant and I couldn't see well. Even though I was already lying down, I blacked out for a second. When I came too (literally a few seconds later) they said it was time to get her! Since the PACU rooms are so small, the room didn't flood with people. In fact, there were only 7 or 8 people other than us in there. Very different from the 18 or something when I had C!! The pediatricians ready for AP had to be in the next room since it was so small.

Before I knew it, they started pulling her out. It was quick. They held her up so we could see. She was so little!! They asked if Adam wanted to cut the cord, and he did. Then they look her to get cleaned up and evaluated. Adam stayed with me while they started to stitch me up but then he left to be with Ann Parker.

They finally brought her in to me. She looked a lot like baby Caroline. Same precious nose, just like their daddy. Same little round cheeks. It was a perfect moment.

There is nothing like seeing your child for the first time- seeing who has been kicking you and wanting you to eat tons of fruit and ice cream. :) The birth is always a little bittersweet to me. I just love being pregnant. I hate the needles, but aside from that I even like going to the doctor each time. I love the anticipation at the end, wondering which day will be the life changing one where your baby arrives. I think the middle of the night hospital trips are fun too, although Adam disagrees. I hate that that part has to end. God willing (and Adam too) that won't be my last pregnancy. BUT, even though I will miss being pregnant, I am beyond grateful to have a beautiful and healthy little girl. I am so glad that she is ours and for the rest of my life April 20 will be one of the happiest days because our precious girl officially became part of our family.

Happy birthday Ann Parker. We are over the moon in love with you already!

No comments: