Friday, October 28, 2011

Pregnancy: 12 Weeks


Forgive the blurry picture. I took a picture of the ultrasound. You can atleast see that the baby looks like an actual human and not a gummy bear. If I ever get around to it I will actually scan them all and post... Also, belly pic will come later when someone is here to take it for me!

I finally made it to 12 weeks!! (I'm actually almost in week 13 now.) I am feeling much better as long as I eat right when I feel hungry. I seem to always be hungry. I am certainly eating more with this pregnancy than I did with the last one and I'm hoping that means I don't gain tons more weight! I have so much more energy than I did with Caroline, but by the end of the day I am ready to crash. This baby is sitting so low and putting a lot of pressure on my sciatic nerve. All I can do is take tylenol and use a heating pad on low - neither of which help a whole lot. This past week has been quite bad and I've been having a hard time walking. It flares up suddenly and causes a moment of severe pain. Luckily it's mainly happened while at home. I stumbled because of the pain the other day - while holding Caroline. I've been trying not to hold her as much just in case, which makes me sad. I never experienced this with Caroline and I must say that it's not pleasant. When that isn't giving me any trouble, I feel great so I'm trying to focus on that!

I haven't been having any major food cravings or aversions. I just find that I am always hungry. With Caroline I had very strong cravings and aversions. I have been having some pregnancy induced insomnia. It takes me forever to get comfortable and fall asleep and then 30 minutes later I am wide awake. I guess I need to get used to being up all night, huh?

We had the genetic screen appointment this week. The fluid behind the neck measured normal and there was a distinct and perfectly formed nasal bone. Abnormal measurements can be indicators of open spinal defects, Down's Syndrome, and Trisomy 18. We are waiting on blood results, but so far everything looked fantastic. We also had an ultrasound. The heartbeat has slowed down a lot (completely normal) and is very strong. He/She was just relaxing - a far cry from Caroline at the genetic screening appointment. She was jumping and turning the entire time! We were able to get a great profile shot and just like big sister, this baby has Adam's nose!! He/She was adorable!! It was still too early for the doctor to even make a guess about gender...plus the baby was super low and wouldn't show us their stuff. We'll find out soon enough! We will find out before Christmas which is great - plenty of time to get them gifts!!

It's so amazing to be able to experience this again. What a wonderful blessing! Don't forget to vote in the baby pool if you want to - we're going to close it in a few weeks!

See below for another new post.

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Great update!!

Hillary said...

I had terrible back pain with C and sometimes my hips would basically dislocate. Yoga helped some. I have a pregnancy yoga dvd you are welcome to borrow if you want!

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily! Just catching up on your blog...and saw about your sciatic pain. If you haven't tried a SI brace yet, that might be something to consider. A lot of pregnant women can get benefits from it due to the increased ligamentous laxity during pregnancy, and the weight of the baby compressing on the sciatic nerve. Look into it-but I just thought this might help you. Much love from Nashville, Meg!