Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Boy or Girl...who cares???

Lately I have been asked (by almost everyone) if I want this baby to be a boy or girl. My response lately is just "yes." Yes, in fact, I do want it to be a boy or girl. Anything else would be strange. When I was pregnant with Caroline I did have a preference, or so I thought. I thought I wanted a boy so that my girls could have a big brother. I had a big brother and loved it. That was the only thing I knew so that's how I thought it should be with my own kids. 16 months later I look at the most wonderful little girl and sort of want to hit myself for ever thinking I wanted something different. It never bothered me with C when people asked what gender I was hoping for, but with this one I find that it irritates me so much! I've already had people say, "if it's another girl are you going to try for a boy?" or "if it's a boy are you going to be done?" Maybe I want 2 kids, maybe I want 3 - that will not depend on their gender though. If this baby is a boy then we will celebrate that we will have one of each. If this baby is a girl, then we will celebrate that our daughters will grow up being best friends. Is there really a losing side to this? I recently read a comment on another blog (of someone who found out the gender of their baby). The comment said "I know this is what you wanted and you must be thrilled" or something along those lines. I'm not sure why, but that set me off this morning!! Would she not have been thrilled if it were the opposite gender? All babies - boy or girl - are an amazing gift. I knew a long time ago that I wanted to be a mother. My wish was never to have a boy or to have a girl - it was to have a child. I don't think it's bad when people do have a desire for sex, what I do find bad is that the word "disappointment" keeps popping up. "Will you be disappointed if it's a girl?" Finding out the sex of this baby will be many things but I can assure you, disappointing will not be one of them!

Maybe it's crazy pregnancy hormones that are making me nuts over this. Maybe it's the fact that I have a daughter (which seems to be the less desired gender) that's making me protective. Maybe it's the fact that I prayed for a CHILD and not a specific gender that's doing this to me. Who knows? All this to say that...

Sweet Baby #2,
I loved you the minute I knew you were coming. Everyday my love for you grows more and more. Boy or girl, you are still my baby and will always be a wanted, welcomed, loved, important member of this family. What's important to me is that you are happy and healthy and that you always feel special - because you already are! I cannot wait to find out WHO you are...not WHAT you are. Love, your mommy

4 comments:

Kelley said...

I'm right w you!! I've been angry FOR a friend who's having her 3rd - if I hear another person ask her 1. If she knows what causes this , or 2. Are you hoping for a girl this time?
I might just yell at someone.

Babies are wonderful gifts.

Cassie said...

Totally agreed,I get really upset when someone say "what do you want." My response; "A BABY!"

Alli and Korey said...

I am SO with you emily!! I think i might be the friend kelley is talking about : ) and it annoys me greatly when people say, dont you want a girl?? Ummm NO i want another baby, boy or girl makes no difference. Im so glad god does not let us chose that bc i would have picked girl whith my first pregnancy... And been so wrong bc I LOVE MY BOYS!! And when shepard was a boy people said the same thing to me about having a thrid so we could get a girl. Baby isreal will be just what he/she is meant to be : )

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE this post Emily! ~Meg