Monday, October 14, 2013

Pumpkin everything...

Now that it's fall, I can bake pumpkin things all the time.  I love it and I look forward to pumpkin goodies all year long!  So far we have made pecan pumpkin butter bars (delish), pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin layer cake, and pumpkin snickerdoodles.  I thought these turned out really well. They were super easy and I had everything on hand.  I realize not everyone has a whole shelf of canned pumpkin at all times in the fall months though...

3 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup puréed pumpkin
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla

Sugar coating:
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Dash of allspice

In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
Put butter and sugars in stand mixer and mix for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy
Blend in pumpkin and then egg and vanilla
Slowly add in dry ingredients
Chill for at least one hour
Roll into balls and then roll in sugar coating

Bake 10-12 minutes at 350

All of the spice are just estimates.  I added more of everything plus I threw in some pumpkin pie spice for good measure.  And FYI...if you don't have ginger, nutmeg, or allspice you can use pumpkin pie spice - which is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.  

These were fluffy without being too cake-y, which is how I like a snickerdoodle.  Adam likes flatter, crunchier snickerdoodles so he may not love these, but I think they are yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments: