Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Big Day

*Warning - long post that will probably be boring to most people and may offend some people.  If it offends you, sorry -  but I'm not sorry.

I was sitting in Mrs. Culpepper's 1st period AP English class as a senior in high school when I was told that a plane hit the World Trade Center.  I was visiting my grandparents when JKF Jr.'s plane went missing.  I was in my car on the way to the post office when Michael Jackson's not guilty of child molestation verdict was read.  I remember what I was doing for several "big news moments" in my life and today is another one of those days.  The Supreme Court ruled that DOMA is unconstitutional, thus giving all citizens marriage equality.  I have never used my blog as a political outlet, and I don't intend to now - but I thought this was too important not to blog about.  

For most issues, I fall somewhere in the middle.  And really to be honest, I am not a big politico even though I am married to a very informed and active political guy.  I usually don't say anything because I cannot imagine anything more boring and less helpful than me telling why each side is sort of right and also sort of wrong.  Today, I can say with complete confidence that the Supreme Court was RIGHT.  Today was a good day.

We were having a lazy day and were still in our pj's - even though it way past time to be in clothes.  I had CNN turned on while I was cleaning up around the house and thinking about getting us all ready for some errands.  Caroline and Ann Parker had no idea what was going on.  C watched a show on the iPad and AP played with some toys.  One day they will realize how significant today was.  Their generation will look back at the issue of marriage equality the way our generation views gender and race equality issues.  




We don't face any big discrimination's.  We are sort of main stream - white, college educated, married people.  We got married, bought a house, then had kids.  We followed the traditional plan so to speak.  While I stay at home now, we both had (and Adam still has) good jobs.  We aren't using any type of government assistance.  We have not had to face anything serious like that.  We are blessed and we are thankful.  However, I know many people who aren't so lucky.  I know people who have lost jobs and have had to collect unemployment and listen to people make ugly comments when they buy groceries using an EBT card.  I know single parents who have had to listen to people say how irresponsible it was for someone to get pregnant outside of marriage.  It makes me sick that people feel like they should have that much say in someone else's life.  

I look at my two beautiful children and I cannot help but be filled with so many emotions - joy, pride, love, but also fear.  Fear that I cannot protect them from illness, accidents, hurtful words, and other things.  I remember being pregnant with Caroline and saying things like, "I hope she likes dance."  and "I hope she's not one of those goth kids."  After a while I started saying, "I hope she has all her fingers and toes."  and "I hope she can see and hear."  And then, I just didn't care about any of that.  The only thing I said was, "I hope she can find joy in her life."  All I wanted was a healthy baby (regardless of whether she had all her fingers, toes, eyesight, etc.) who could find happiness.  Whatever it was - flute, cheerleading, chess, track, science club, WHATEVER.  I didn't care what she liked, as long as she was happy doing it.  I wanted her to love herself.  

One day, these kids will grow up.  God willing, they will find someone they love.  I don't care if they bring home a boy or a girl - it doesn't matter because neither will be good enough :)    It doesn't matter to me WHO they love, I just want them TO LOVE.  I want them to do whatever it is that makes them happy - and if that means that they are happy being with someone of the same sex, I hope they know they have my support and blessing.  I don't know what the future holds for my kids, but I cannot bear the thought that one day they wouldn't be able to get married if they happened to be gay.  It makes me sick to know that people would view my kids as lesser citizens because of their sexual orientation.  I just want to punch those people.  I want to punch anyone that hurts my kids.  Don't mess with this mama.  Don't misunderstand - I don't think they are gay and I am not sitting here hoping they are.  I just want them to grow up and be whoever it is that they are meant to be.  I just want them to be happy.  

Today was a good day.  Today the Supreme Court said that ALL people have the right to be legally married.  There are many people who aren't happy today.  Many people who have said that God doesn't bless same sex marriage.  Many people who think this makes a mockery of marriage.  I don't know what to say to those people.  All I know is that I am happy today.  I am happy for my gay friends.  I am happy that my children get to be raised in a world where there is one less legal discrimination.  Today was a good day and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

 


2 comments:

Rebecca Beers said...

even though I don't have kids, I totally agree! Love your post and your thoughts Em.

augirl said...

I love this!! Very classy as always!!